Govind Ballabh Pant
- Born in September 1887 in Almora District,Uttarakhand
- He was one of the foremost political leaders of Uttar Pradesh (then known as United Provinces).
- To honour his exemplary services to the nation, Pant received India’s highest civilian honour, the Bharat Ratna, in 1957.
- He was as an extremely capable lawyer, and was appointed to initially represent Ramprasad Bismill, Ashfaqulla Khan etc involved in the Kakori case in the mid 1920s.
- Arrested for organising Salt March in 1930.
- In 1934, Pant was elected to the Central Legislative Assembly.
- He became deputy leader of the Congress party in the Assembly
- Pant took over as the Chief Minister of the United Provinces from 1937 to 1939.
- Pant served as Union Home Minister from 1955–1961
- Sumitranandan Pant (20 May 1900 – 28 December 1977) was an Indian poet. He was one of the most celebrated 20th century poets of the Hindi language and was known for romanticism in his poems which were inspired by nature, people and beauty within.
- He is considered one of the major poets of the Chhayavaadi school of Hindi literature. Pant mostly wrote in Sanskritized Hindi. Pant authored twenty-eight published works including poetry, verse plays and essays
Popular works of Sumitranandan Pant :
- Sumitranandan Pant Granthavali (Vol.1-To-7)
- Svacchanda: Sumirtanandana Panta ki kavitaom ka sancayana (Hindi Edition)
- Kala Aur Boodha Chand
- Hans aur Rajkumari
- Tara Path
Sundar Lal Bahuguna
- Sunderlal Bahuguna (born 9 January 1927) is a noted Garhwali environmentalist and Chipko movement leader. The idea of Chipko movement was of his wife and the action was taken by him. For years he has been fighting for the preservation of forests in the Himalayas, first as a member of the Chipko movement in the 1970s, and later spearheaded the Anti-Tehri Dam movement starting 1980s, to early 2004.
- In 1981 he was awarded the Padma Shri Award by the government of India, but he refused it.
- In 2009 he was awarded the Padma Vibhushan Award by the government of India for environment conservation.
Popular Quotes :
Ecology is permanent economy.
We in Himalaya are facing a crisis of survival due to the suicidal activities being carried out in the name of development.
Bipin Chandra Joshi
- General Bipin Joshi was born in December 1935 in Pithoragarh.
- He was the 17th Chief of Army Staff (COAS) of the Indian Army.
- General B. C. Joshi has been a recipient of the Param Vishisht Seva Medal, Ati Vishisht Seva Medal for distinguished service of the most exceptional order.
- He is the only Chief of Indian Army who died in harness.
- The Gen. B. C. Joshi Army Public School was established in 1993 in Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand in his honour.
- Ajit Kumar Doval ,IPS (Retd.) , was born in 1945 in Ghiri Banelsyun village in Pauri Garhwal in a Garhwali family in the erstwhile United Provinces, now in Uttarakhand.
- He is the 5th National Security Advisor to the Prime Minister of India.
- He previously served as the Director of the Intelligence Bureau in 2004–05, after spending a decade as the head of its operation wing.
- He is also regarded as an instrumental figure in Indian revocation of Jammu and Kashmir’s special status.
General Bipin Rawat
- General Bipin Rawat was born in Pauri, Uttarakhand, India.
- General Bipin Rawat is the 27th Chief of Army Staff of the Indian Army. He assumed office on 31st December 2016 after retirement of General Dalbir Singh.
- General Rawat was commissioned into the 5th battalion of 11 Gorkha Rifles on 16 December 1978, the same unit as his father.
- He has lots of experience in high altitude warfare and spent ten years conducting counter insurgency operations.
- His family had been serving in the Indian Army for multiple generations, and his father was Lieutenant General Laxman Singh Rawat.
- Recently General Bipin Rawat is named as the India’s first Chief of Defence Staff
Admiral Devendra Kumar Joshi
- Admiral Devendra Kumar Joshi, born in July 1954 in Almora.
- He was the 21st Chief of Naval Staff of the Indian Navy, having assumed office on 31 August 2012.
- He is a specialist in anti-submarine warfare.
- He is served as the Lieutenant Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands and also the Vice Chairman of Islands Development Authority (IDA).
- Anil Kumar Dhasmana was the Chief of the Research and Analysis Wing (R&W), India’s foreign intelligence service. He was appointed as the Chief of R&AW as the post fell vacant on 31 January 2017 following the retirement of the incumbent.
- He was born on 2 October 1957 in Pauri, Uttarakhand and holds an M.Com. degree from Uttar Pradesh.
- He is 1981-batch Madhya Pradesh cadre IPS officer and was appointed on 3 December 1981. His domain of expertise is considered to be Balochistan,counter-terrorism and Islamic affairs.
Khadg Singh Valdiya
- Khadg Singh (KS) Valdiya is an Indian geologist and a former vice chancellor of Kumaon University, known for his contributions in the field of geodynamics.
- He was born to Dev Singh Valdiya and Nanda Valdiya on 20 March 1937 in Myanmar. In 1947 his family returned to their hometown in Pithoragarh in the Indian state of Uttarakhand.
- K.S. Valdiya has contributed to Himalayan Geology through a sustained and comprehensive study of the Uttarakhand Himalayas.
- His internationally recognized works are based on the painstaking mapping of mountainous terrain, traversing thousands of kilometres on foot.
- For the last few years, KS Valdiya has been working on a Science Outreach Programme to popularize Science among young students, in the remote regions of Uttarakhand.
- A 2007 recipient of Padma Shri, he was honoured again by the Government of India in 2015 with Padma Bhushan, the third highest Indian civilian award.
- Bachendri Pal is an Indian mountaineer, who in 1984 became the first Indian woman to reach the summit of Mount Everest.
- She is awarded the third highest civilian award Padma Bhushan by the Government of India in 2019.
- Abhinav Bindra was born in September 1982 in Dehradun.
- He is an Olympian gold medalist in the 10-metre Air Rifle event. He has the co-distinction of bringing home to India its inaugural individual gold medal, from the 2008 Summer Olympics. It was also India’s first gold medal since 1980, when the Men’s Field Hockey Team won the gold.
Awards and accolades
- 2000 – Arjuna award
- 2002 – Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna
- 2009 – Padma Bhushan
- 2011 – Honorary lieutenant colonel by Indian Territorial Army
- 2019 – Honorary Doctorate degree (DPhil) from Kaziranga University
- Jaspal Rana, born in June 1976 (Uttarkashi) is an Indian shooter. He contested mainly in the 25 m Centre Fire Pistol category.
- He was awarded Arjuna Award, the second highest award for achievement in sport and Padma Shri by the Indian government.
- He was also awarded National Citizen award by Mother Teresa.
Major Sporting Achievements
- Gold Medal in the 1994 Asian Games in Hiroshima.
- Gold medal in Men’s 25m Centre Fire Pistol (Pairs) with Samaresh Jung at the 2006 Commonwealth Games.
- Gold Medals in 25m Standard Pistol and 25m Center Fire Pistol at the 2006 Asian Games on 7-8 Dec 2006.
- Ruskin Bond (born 19 May 1934) is an Indian author of British descent. He lives with his adopted family in Landour, Mussoorie, India.
- Most of his works are influenced by life in the hill stations at the foothills of the Himalayas, where he spent his childhood.
- His first novel, The Room On the Roof, was written when he was 17 and published when he was 21.
- He was awarded the Sahitya Academy Award in 1992 for Our Trees Still Grow in Dehra, his novel in English.
- He was awarded the Padma Shri in 1999 and the Padma Bhushan in 2014.
Popular works of Ruskin Bond:
- The Room On The Roof
- Angry River
- The Blue Umbrella
- Rusty, The Boy From The Hills
- A Flight Of Pigeons
- Road To Mussoorie
- Delhi Is Not Far
- Vagrants In The Valley
- Looking For The Rainbow
- Falling In Love Again
- Ekta is the first woman international cricket player from Uttarakhand.
- Ekta Bisht was born on 8 February 1986 in Almora to Kundan Singh Bisht and Tara Bisht.
- She began playing cricket at the age of six.
- She use to play the sport with the boys, which often drew an audience as she use to be the only girl in the male team.
- She became captain of the Uttarakhand cricket team in 2006.
- Bisht was selected for the Indian women’s national cricket team in 2011, and made her One Day International (ODI) debut on 2 July 2011 against Australia.
- She is the fifth Indian woman to cross the 100 wicket mark with 129 international wickets.
- In November 2017, the Uttarakhand government decided to confer the year’s Khel Ratna award to bowler Ekta Bisht and Dronacharya Award to her coach Liyakat Ali Khan.
Major Suman Gawani
- Major Suman Gawani who served as a woman peacekeeper in the conflict-torn South Sudan in 2019 has been conferred with the revered “United Nations (UN) military gender advocate of the year” award.
- Major Gawani is the first Indian peacekeeper to win the award
- She is a Military Observer, formerly deployed to the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), where she mentored over 230 UN Military Observers on conflict-related sexual violence, and ensured the presence of women military observers in each of the Mission’s team sites.
- She also trained South Sudanese government forces, and helped them to launch their action plan on conflict-related sexual violence.
- Major Gawani hails from Pokhar village in Tehri Garhwal, Uttarakhand.
- She did her schooling in Uttarkashi. She received a Bachelor of Education degree from Government PG College, Dehradun.
- She also received a Telecommunication degree from the Military College of Telecommunication Engineering(MCTE), Mhow (Madhya Pradesh).
- Major Suman joined the Indian Army in 2011 after graduating from Officers Training Academy, Chennai.
- She was associated with the Army’s Signal Corp.
Other achievers from Uttarakhand
Narendra Singh Negi (Folk Singer)
Preetam Bhartwan (Folk Singer)
Neha Kakkar (Playback singer)
Himani Shivpuri (Actress)
Zubin Nautiyal (Playback singer)
Archana Puran Singh (Actress)
Deepak Dobriyal (Actor)
Varun Badola (TV Actor)
Tigmanshu Dhulia (Director,Actor)
Anjali Tatrari (TV Actress and model)
Urvashi Rautela (Miss India and Actress)
Anjali Rawat (Garhwali Folk Dancer and TikTok entertainer)
Rishabh pant (Indian cricketer)
Manish Pandey (Indian cricketer)
Mir Ranjan Negi (Hockey Player)
Parimarjan Negi- (Chess Player)
Pawan Negi (Indian cricketer)
Tashi and Nungshi Malik (World’s first siblings and twins to climb Seven Summits, to complete Adventurers Grand Slam and Three Poles Challenge)